If you’re coming from Manila, the most convenient way to get to Culion is through Busuanga (Coron). Some airlines such as Cebu Pacific, Skyjet, and Philippine Airlines have direct flights. From the airport, you can take one of the many operators offering van trips to Coron town. Once there, you have options; you can go via passenger boats, private boats, or group day tour. Choose one based on your time and budget constraints.
Via Passenger Boat
- A Passenger boat plies the Coron-Culion route; this leaves at 1:30 PM. There’s only one boat per day. If you miss it, start looking for alternatives, which are more expensive. Make sure to get to the port at around 1 PM as there are limited seats and the staff strictly enforces the passenger count limit.
- The boat docks at Culion’s town proper. The attractions are within walking distance. If you choose this option, you’ll have to spend the night in town. The return trip to Coron is at 7:00 AM the next day.
- The ride takes about an hour and a half. The fare is P180 and you have to pay P20 for the terminal fee.
Via Private Boat
- You can go on a day tour on a chartered boat. Go to the Calamian Tourist Boat Association office at Lualhati Park. Here you can hire boatmen with certifications that can ferry you to Culion. The cost varies and depends on the number of passengers. This option is a private trip and is expensive. The advantage is that you can customize your trip and can leave anytime you want.
- If you want to stop somewhere in between Coron and Culion, you can ask the boatman and guide.
- The roundtrip fare is around P3000 for 1-4 people, P3500 for 5-8, and P6000 for 10-15.
Via Group Day Tour
- Day tour through a tour operator or agency is another alternative. This is an option to consider if you don’t want to spend the night in Culion.
- Many operators and agencies offer a historical tour and may include a stop at Bogor Marine Park, a good snorkeling spot in front of Culion. You’ll join other people and you’ll follow a strict itinerary.
- This is ideal for solo travelers who want to see a different side of Coron. Price depends on the operator/agency, but it is normally P1200.